Classic Northern Beef Stew.
You can cook Classic Northern Beef Stew using 20 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Classic Northern Beef Stew
- Prepare 1/3 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need 2.5 of lbs. beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare Dash of salt and black pepper.
- You need 2 cups of beef broth.
- Prepare 1 cup of red wine.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 of medium onion, cut into wedges (8 pieces).
- Prepare 3 of large “gold” potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces.
- It’s 1 lb. of medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- It’s 8 oz. of large mushrooms, halved.
- You need 4 of celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- It’s 1 lb. of turnips, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces.
- It’s Dash of salt and black pepper.
- You need 1 tsp. of paprika.
- It’s 1 tsp. of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of clove (grated or powdered).
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of allspice (ground or powdered).
- Prepare 1 can (6 oz.) of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Marsala wine (optional).
Classic Northern Beef Stew instructions
- Prepare meat and vegetables before the cooking steps..
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with some bacon grease on the bottom. Pour in enough oil to fill the bottom of pan..
- Place the beef cubes in a brown paper bag and add the flour. Close the bag and shake a few times. [This produces evenly coated and drier beef cubes].
- Dump the beef cubes into the pot and season the beef generously with salt and pepper. Sauté the meat, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, about 8 minutes. [Add oil if it seems to dry out or stick].
- Add the broth and wine until it covers the meat. Add the bay leaf. Bring this to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes..
- Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, celery, and turnips to the pot. Add water (~3 cups) until it reaches 1” below all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, and the spices. Cover (slightly ajar) and cook on low-medium heat for 1 hour..
- Remove the pot lid and drain all the pot juices into a medium sized pot. Add the tomato paste to the juices, stir occasionally, and heat until a slight boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and heat uncovered for 10 minutes. [The gravy will begin to thicken a bit].
- Add this “new” gravy back to the large pot so it just reaches the top of the ingredients. [Reserve the rest of the gravy, if any, for another meal].
- Add the Marsala wine, and simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow this to rest for 10 minutes before serving..
I Love to Cooking and I am the chef of Champion Restaurant…