Vickys Traditional Scotch Broth, GF DF EF SF NF.
You can have Vickys Traditional Scotch Broth, GF DF EF SF NF using 10 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vickys Traditional Scotch Broth, GF DF EF SF NF
- You need 125 grams of scotch broth mix *.
- It’s 2 of carrots, diced.
- Prepare 1 of turnip, diced.
- You need 1 of swede, diced.
- It’s 1 of medium onion, diced.
- You need 1/2 of leek, diced.
- It’s 500 g of neck of mutton or lamb.
- Prepare 1750 ml of vegetable stock.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh chopped parsley.
- You need to taste of salt & pepper.
Vickys Traditional Scotch Broth, GF DF EF SF NF instructions
- Scotch broth mix consists of dried Pearl Barley, Yellow Split Peas, Marrowfat Peas, Green Split Lentils and Red Split Lentils with the barley being the most abundant in the mix and the red lentils the least – 50g pearl barley (you can use white rice instead for a gluten-free option), 25g yellow split peas, 25g marrowfat peas, 15g green split lentils, 10g red split lentils.
- Soak the broth mix overnight in cold water.
- Put the vegetables, meat and stock in a large pan and bring to the boil. Skim off any fat with a slotted spoon then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, then add the pre-soaked broth mix and continue to simmer for another 60 – 70 minutes until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Remove the meat and pull apart with 2 forks. Add back to the pan discarding the bones. Stir in the parsley, season and serve.
- You can also use beef or chicken but mutton is the traditional choice.
- Substitute barley for rice if cooking for a gluten-free diet.
I Love to Cooking and I am the chef of Champion Restaurant…