Chwee Kueh (Water Cake).
You can have Chwee Kueh (Water Cake) using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chwee Kueh (Water Cake)
- You need of Chwee Kueh Batter.
- You need 1 cup (150 g) of rice flour.
- It’s 1 tablespoon (15 g) of wheat flour.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup (350 ml) of water.
- You need 1 1/2 cup (350 ml) of boiling water.
- It’s of Chai Poh Topping.
- Prepare 1 cup of chai poh (salted preserved turnip).
- It’s 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 8 of chopped shallots.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of minced dried shrimp.
- You need 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of corn starch.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of water.
Chwee Kueh (Water Cake) instructions
- FOR THE CHAI POH TOPPING —Soak the chai poh in water, rinse and drain. But not too much so that it retains some saltiness..
- Chop the dried shrimp, soak and drain. Mince the shallots and garlic..
- Mix the corn starch with the water..
- Heat up oil in wok. Fry the shallots, garlic and dried shrimp. Add the chai poh and fry till fragrant. Add caramel soya sauce, corn starch mix, salt and sugar..
- FOR THE CHWEE KUEH BATTER — Mix the rice flour, wheat flour, salt and water together. Once it's smooth, mix in the boiling water..
- Heat up the steamer, oil the bowls. Making sure the batter is well mixed before pouring out into bowls and steaming for 20 minutes. (Afternote: fill a third to half of bowl so that final result is thinner and softer.).
- Drain the excess water, and let the chwee kueh cool down before scooping it out and add the chai poh topping. Alternatively, you can also top it with curry chicken..
I Love to Cooking and I am the chef of Champion Restaurant…