Slow Cooked Collard Greens.
You can cook Slow Cooked Collard Greens using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Slow Cooked Collard Greens
- It’s 2 bags of (or bunches) of cleaned and chopped Collards or Turnip or Mustard Greens (or any combination of greens listed above).
- You need 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- You need 1 of onion, sliced.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves, smashed.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 10 oz of bacon, chopped.
- You need 2 quarts of chicken broth, warm.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Slow Cooked Collard Greens step by step
- 2 BAGS OF CLEANED AND CHOPPED GREENS. (prefer Glory brand).
- Heat pot over medium heat and add bacon. Render fat from bacon at medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove crisp bacon pieces onto a paper towel and set aside. Keep the bacon fat in the pot..
- Add the onion, garlic. Cook until the onions are soft and starting to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes..
- Add the broth (scraping any brown bits from bottom of pot), vinegar, and sugar. Pack in the greens, pushing them down into the pot..
- Add Bay leaves..
- Bring up to a boil turning the greens over occasionally with a wooden spoon as they wilt. Lower to a simmer, cover the pot, and let cook for 45 minutes..
- Taste the "pot likkor" (broth) and check the seasoning, add salt and pepper..
- Cover and let cook for 15 more minutes or until tender..
- Remove the bay leaves and serve..
I Love to Cooking and I am the chef of Champion Restaurant…